Monday 27 June 2011

Not quite a Royal Wedding but pretty special to me

My last blog post was about the hat I made for my daughter to celebrate Kate and Williams marriage.
This post is all about my best friends wedding and the very crafty part I had to play in it. My best friend rang me one night to tell me they had set a date for the wedding and to ask if my children would like to be flower girl and page boy, she then went on to ask whether I would do her invitations. As you can imagine it was a big YES to both requests. After spending a fair bit of time over in America and buying every wedding magazine available to her whilst there, she was spoilt for choice with ideas, we discussed colour schemes, venues all the usual things, finally she decided on a black and white theme.
My turn to go off and see what I could come up with for the invitations.
I tried a few different design ideas, made some samples up and these are the ones she chose.
We decided on a square design and that it would be in a postcard style.
We found some lovely co-ordinating black and white textured paper which I lined the inside of the envelopes with.
After I finished the invites, my friend started to really struggle to source items that she wanted for her venue. She was having a marquee set up in her local cricket club, she would phone me and say "I'm having no luck finding" whatever it was and I would find myself saying, I'll make them don't worry. Before long I had a huge to do list.
Number 1. Make 48 tissue boxes from scratch, I have the measurements for the boxes forever embedded in my brain, I had to decorate them and then make the tissue flowers for the tops.
Voila
2. Place setting cards I liked the dual layer look of the invitations so I used the same format for them. I love this font I call it my wedding font.
3. Menus one for each guest, again I wanted the dual layer effect, they were made with ribbon tabs as they sat inside a napkin pocket. I liked the layout of the menu and the Harrington font I used really made them look special. My printer broke shortly after I printed the last one, lol overworked.
4. She bought 2 huge rolls of co-ordinating material and I cut and stitched 12 large table cover/runners
5. We sat one day and made the welcome bags for the children's table, she opted for the cellophane wrapped type.
6. Various little miscellaneous things, voile flowers, butterflies etc. 
7. Not a make this time, but a do, we turned up the day before the wedding to help put it all together.

This is how the marquee looked when we first arrived.

This is the view, we watched a cricket match the day of the wedding :o)

This is how it looked when we finished, all the hard work was well worth it, boy I slept well that night.I wasn't even bothered that it all went in the bin afterwards, I was just pleased that her vision had been recognised and that I had been able to play a part in that. It turned out so well considering it was a D.I.Y job.

This is the kids table, it didn't look like this for very long.

I really enjoyed playing such a major role in the wedding. Oh boy I enjoyed a few glasses of champagne that day, well I'd earned it :o). Mel x

3 comments:

  1. holy schmoleys, girl! you really rocked every bit you touched! way to go! :)
    and believe you me, you deserved the champagne! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Mel you did an absolutley fantastic job. You deserve more than a few glasses of champagne - a couple of bottles at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks fantastic, you did an amazing job!

    Thanks for sharing :o)

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me comments, I love getting them. ~*~Happy Crafting~*~
Mel :o)